The Valheim Black Metal Shield is a shield you can unlock in the video game developed by Iron Gate and one of the Valheim weapons you can craft after you get Black Metal.
Currently, the Black Metal Shield is the best round shield in the video game, having better stats than the Silver Shield, and obviously, it is superior to the Banded Shield.
As such, this is a tier 5 round shield you should definitely craft; so below, I’ll tell you how to unlock it, how to get all Crafting Materials for it, its Spawn Id, and how to customize it by changing its styles and colors.
How To Unlock The Black Metal Shield In Valheim
In Valheim, this item is described as a shield “fashioned from the strongest metal, able to turn even the deadliest blades.”
As you can see, even the description tells us that it is the strongest round shield in Valheim.
You can see how it looks like in my screenshot below.
To unlock this one, however, first, you’ll need to find a series of Crafting Materials.
Or simply put, you have to process your first Black Metal Bar, get a Fine Wood and a Chain.
Keep in mind, though, that these are required only for unlocking the Valheim Black Metal Shield recipe, not to craft it.
Additionally, you’ll need a level three Forge.
Crafting Materials Locations
The moment you unlock the recipe, you’ll need to keep collecting the Crafting Materials required for this amazing shield.
Here is what you need:
- 10 Fine Wood – Obtained by chopping Birch and Oak trees in the Meadows or Plains Biomes using a Bronze Axe unlocked the moment you produce your first Bronze Bar at a Smelter
- 8 Black Metal Bars – This metal is obtained at a Blast Furnace by smelting Black Metal Scraps. You’ll find scraps in the Plains Biome within Fuling Villages; while the Blast Furnace is unlocked after you build the Artisan Table
- 5 Chains – These items cannot be crafted. To get them, you’ll have to explore the Sunken Crypts in the Swamp Biome. You can open them using the Swamp Key from The Elder Boss; however, Chains are also dropped by Wraiths, in case you can’t find them inside the random chests. You’ll be able to locate Wraiths in abandoned houses in the Swamp
Now, you’ll need to upgrade your Forge to level three, so build any three of the following improvements next to an existing Forge.
- Forge Cooler
- Smith’s Anvil
- Forge Toolrack
- Forge Bellows
- Grinding Wheel
How To Choose Your Black Metal Shield Styles & Colors
Finally, get close to the Forge and craft your shield; however, if you wish to change its color or style, you can do that before hitting the Craft button.
In the screenshot below, you can see all Valheim Black Metal Shield Styles or customization options.
To switch between them, press the Styles button under the shield’s name. Pick the one you like, then hit Craft.
What Is The Black Metal Shield Spawn Id
Assuming you don’t mind cheating and you want to get this shield without looking for all materials, you can use the Valheim Black Metal Shield Spawn Id to make it spawn from thin air.
- Press F5 to bring up the game’s console
- Next, type imacheater to activate the Valheim Cheat Mode
- Now, type spawn ShieldBlackmetal, and you’ll see the shield falling from the sky
And that’s it, Viking. Now you know everything about the Black Metal Shield in Valheim, so now let’s check a bigger version made using the same materials.