Blast Furnace is a Valheim structure similar to the Smelter and a mandatory building you’ll have to focus on; in order to be able to process two high-quality ores or metals, in the video game developed by Iron Gate.
Unlike the Smelter though, the Blast Furnace in Valheim is more complicated to build, because there are several requirements and materials you’ll need to get.
And one of these materials also involves a Boss.
Nevertheless, below, I’ll tell you everything you need to know about the Blast Furnace in Valheim, including how to unlock it, how to build it, and how to start smelting Black Metal Scrap and Flametal Ore.
How To Unlock Blast Furnace In Valheim
So, the first thing you need to know is how to unlock the Vlaheim Blast Furnace. The answer here is pretty simple. You need to build an Artisan Table.
The problem; however, is that the Artisan Table requires the following materials:
- 10 Wood – Obtained by chopping common trees such as Beech for example. This type of tree is found in the Meadows Biome, and if you already unlocked the Cultivator you can plant your Beech Seeds and grow your own Beech Trees
- 2 Dragon Tears – A rare Valheim Crafting Material that is dropped by one of the game’s bosses named Moder. This specific boss is a dragon and once you defeat him you’ll receive 10 Dragon Tears. Additionally, you will unlock the Artisan Table
Basically, if you wish to unlock the furnace in Valheim, first you have to deal with Moder; then using the Dragon Tears, you will be able to build the Artisan Table.
The moment you do that, the Valheim Blast Furnace is unlocked, and you can see it below.
How To Build A Valheim Blast Furnace
Now that we know how to unlock this building, let’s see what materials you need to build it:
- 20 Stone – Again a very common material obtained by mining or by gathering. Stones are available almost everywhere
- 5 Surtling Core – As explained in the Surtling Cores locations guide, these come from random chests or can be found in Burial Chambers (or the small dungeons in the Black Forest and Meadows Biomes); however the best way to farm these is by killing Surtlings
- 10 Iron – Another type of metal that can be obtained at a Smelter. To get it, visit the Swamp Biome and collect Scrap Iron by mining Muddy Scrap Piles in the Sunken Crypts. Remember that you need the Swamp Key dropped by The Elder Boss to enter the crypts
- 20 Fine Wood -This type of wood is a bit special meaning that you’ll have to chop down Birch and Oak trees in the Meadows or Plains Biomes. You also need a Bronze Axe to do this
So as you can see there is a lot of legwork to do if you want to build the Blast Furnace, but assuming you have the required materials, now it’s time to place it in your settlement, keeping in mind that this building must be near an Artisan Table.
Good, so now you have a Blast Furnace. But how do you use it?
Valheim Blast Furnace Usage
The Blast Furnace works just like a Smelter, the only difference is that it has both refueling holes on one side.
The round one is for Ore while the square one is for Coal.
Start by adding Coal, then add the Ore you wish to smelt.
Currently, there are two types of metals you can smelt at a Blast Furnace.
- Black Metal Scrap – Is smelted into Black Metal Bars. Each bar requires 1 Scrap and 1 Coal every 15 seconds; while processing takes 31 seconds
- Flametal Ore – Is smelted into Flametal Bars. For each bar, you need 1 Flametal Ore and around 3 Coal
And that’s it, friends! Now you know how to unlock and how to use the Valheim Blast Furnace, so start smelting.